Page MenuHomePhabricator

ci: stop running with Python 2
ClosedPublic

Authored by martinvonz on Nov 10 2021, 11:09 AM.

Details

Summary

We're dropping support for Python 2 after hg 6.0.

Diff Detail

Repository
rHG Mercurial
Lint
Automatic diff as part of commit; lint not applicable.
Unit
Automatic diff as part of commit; unit tests not applicable.

Event Timeline

martinvonz created this revision.Nov 10 2021, 11:09 AM

Nothing would make me happier than to queue this. I'll wait for the 6.0 merge.

We still don't have Python 3 packaging for TortoiseHg but I have little hope it's going to be looked at, we've been waiting for a long long time at this point unfortunately. If we can do something about it before the 6.1 release then great.

Alphare accepted this revision.Nov 10 2021, 11:14 AM
This revision is now accepted and ready to land.Nov 10 2021, 11:14 AM

Nothing would make me happier than to queue this. I'll wait for the 6.0 merge.

No problem. I sent this partly just to check if we're allowed to remove py2 stuff yet :)

Just out of curiosity, why wait for 6.0? Because you're hoping for TortoiseHg to get fixed? Or some issue with stable vs. default branches? If this patch were queued on default, would that affect the stable branch? (Again, no rush, I'm just curious.)

Just out of curiosity, why wait for 6.0? Because you're hoping for TortoiseHg to get fixed? Or some issue with stable vs. default branches? If this patch were queued on default, would that affect the stable branch? (Again, no rush, I'm just curious.)

It would only affect default indeed, I'm just still observing the freeze of the (very delayed) 6.0. The last few releases (including patches) have been pretty rough, I think we could use all the help we can take on the Python 3/Windows story.

Again, this patch is actually a relief and I can't wait to not have to think about Python 2 anymore (and to relieve the CI of a good chunk of its variants). :)

Just out of curiosity, why wait for 6.0? Because you're hoping for TortoiseHg to get fixed? Or some issue with stable vs. default branches? If this patch were queued on default, would that affect the stable branch? (Again, no rush, I'm just curious.)

It would only affect default indeed, I'm just still observing the freeze of the (very delayed) 6.0.

Ah, I didn't know we have a freeze this time.

Ah, I didn't know we have a freeze this time.

The default policy for now is to freeze (since 5.8 I think? I don't remember when that was) because we're changing a lot of stuff around and removing Python 2 + improving Windows at the same. I should probably send a recap to the devel list to make that clearer.

This revision was automatically updated to reflect the committed changes.